Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wild berries and a healthy fruit crumble

I'm feeling replenished after a week on the beautiful Isle of Arran. And my timing was unintentionally brilliant. The blackberries might be on their last legs down south, but on Arran they were perfect. I don't think I have ever seen such a profusion of them. The bramble plants were everywhere, their thorny stems thrusting through fences and around bushes like an illustration of unstoppable life-force. And almost every hedgerow was studded with shiny black berries, most of them so large and plump it was almost impossible to pass by without picking a few.

Blackberies and apple in a pie dish

They say this is a record year for blackberries. I hadn't been to Arran before, so I don't know if it's always like that or if I just got lucky. Anyhow, the result was that I could stuff berries into my mouth to stave off hunger pangs on long walks. And top my morning porridge with a handful of them. But that still left a lot of berries. We were on holiday in a self-catering cottage, so freezing the blackberries or making jam weren't realistic options. There was nothing for it: it would have to be a pudding. As luck would have it, there were a few windfall apples in the garden. And so a crumble was born.

Blackberry and apple crumble

I realised it had been a long time since I'd made a dessert just for the two of us. Such things seem to have been reserved for when we've had visitors or I wanted to take something to colleagues or relatives. But this homely pudding was a real joy, the more so because it seemed like a rare treat.

Cooking in a self-catering cottage adds a few challenges of its own. You don't really want to buy a load of ingredients that you will only use a little of and then have to throw away when you leave. We had porridge oats and a little sugar already - could we improvise a crumble from that? It turned out that we could. No flour, no butter, just oats, a little brown sugar and a dash of cold water mixed in to provide the right texture. Simple and in pudding terms, pretty healthy too.

Blackberry and apple crumble with custard

If I'd had any cinnamon or mixed spice I would have added it, but it wasn't at all bad without. As for the custard, I have to confess that it was tinned. Normally I'm a Bird's custard powder girl (though the proper home-made stuff, with eggs and vanilla, is lovely for a special occasion). But I didn't want to be left with most of a tub of custard powder, so tinned it was - and it was surprisingly edible. I don't think this was just because I'd worked up an appetite in Arran's mountains first.

No comments:

Post a Comment